Orange County

Orange County, highlighted in map of Virginia

Under the Second Charter issued by James II in 1609, Virginia's western boundary extended "up into the land, throughout from sea to sea, west and northwest.1

In 1734, the General Assembly divided Spotsylvania County and included all the colony's territory west of the Blue Ridge within the new Orange County. It was named after William of Orange, who had ruled initially with Queen Mary and then solo as King William III.

Orange County originally was bounded by the Rappahannock River on the north, the Rapidan River on the south, and on the west by the utmost limits of Virginia
Orange County originally was bounded by the Rappahannock River on the north, the Rapidan River on the south, and on the west by the "utmost limits of Virginia"
Source: Memoir of Col. Joshua Fry (p.26)

To encourage settlers to move to the western lands, those who arrived in Orange County by January 1 of 1734/35 were exempt from taxes for the next three years. The delay made it difficult to start the new county's operations, limiting its ability to raise funds for those three years.2

The county boundaries extended "northerly by the grant of Lord Fairfax and westerly by the utmost limits of Virginia." The vague description reflected the confusion created because the boundaries of the Fairfax grant had not been defined yet.3

Germanna

Montpelier

Links

since 1845, wings were added to Montpelier - and then removed to restore its appearance to the days when President Madison lived there
since 1845, wings were added to Montpelier - and then removed to restore its appearance to the days when President Madison lived there
Source: Historical collections of Virginia, Montpelier, the seat of President Madison (p.422)

References

1. "Second Charter of Virginia (1609)," Encyclopedia Virginia, https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Second_Charter_of_Virginia_1609 (last checked March 17, 2019)
2. William Wallace Scott, A History of Orange County, Virginia: From Its Formation in 1734 (O.S.) to the End of Reconstruction in 1870, Genealogical Publishing Company, 1974, p.23, https://books.google.com/books?id=H-_gXS8qit8C (last checked April 8, 2016)
3. Joseph Martin, A Comprehensive Description of Virginia and the District of Columbia: Containing a Copious Collection of Geographical, Statistical, Political, Commercial, Religious, Moral, and Miscellaneous Information, Chiefly from Original Sources, 1835, p.157, https://books.google.com/books?id=jT0VAAAAYAAJ (last checked March 17, 2019)

Gordonsville served as a hospital center for the Confederacy during the Civil War, because railroads could transport the wounded there from battlefields in northern and central Virginia
Gordonsville served as a hospital center for the Confederacy during the Civil War, because railroads could transport the wounded there from battlefields in northern and central Virginia
Source: Library of Congress, Atlas of the War of the Rebellion, Southeastern Virginia and Fort Monroe, Va. (1892)


Existing Virginia Counties
Virginia Places